Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Urban Gardening











(Photos by Lucas Foglia)

I'm always happily surprised when walking through the streets of New York, I notice a hidden garden tucked into this huge concrete metropolis we all live in. I especially like it in unsuspecting neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Growing your own food has become more important because of heightened economic and environmental awareness, as well as a growing sense of community-mindedness. The images below are from the Somerset Community Garden in South Providence, Rhode Island maintained by a group of local families. The idea makes me feel so good that a community can work together and become healthier and more environmentally aware together. I wonder if one exists near me? Especially love the little girl's expression in the first picture...

(GOOD Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog